Commission Members - CCDA
|Name||Represents||Original Appointment||Current Appointment||Appointed By|
|Celia McGuinness||Public / Disability||02/06/2015||01/01/2016 - 01/01/2019||Governor|
|Douglas Wiele||Public / Business Properties Association||09/19/2013||01/01/2014 - 01/01/2020||Governor|
|Vacant||Public / General Business||01/13/2015 - 01/01/2018||Governor|
|Laurie Cohen Yoo||Public / General Business||10/08/2014||01/01/2016 - 01/01/2019||Governor|
|R. Michael Paravagna||Public / Disability||09/19/2013||01/01/2014 - 01/01/2020||Governor|
|Betty Wilson||Public / Disability||05/26/2009||01/01/2016 - 01/01/2019||Governor|
|Christopher Vaughn Downey||Public / Disability||09/19/2013||01/13/2015 - 01/01/2018||Governor|
|Guy A. Leemhuis||Public / Disability||05/08/2013||01/07/2015 - 01/01/2018||Senate|
|Brian Holloway||Public / General Business||02/16/2017||02/16/2017 - 01/01/2020||Senate|
|Vacant||Public / Disability||01/01/2017 - 01/01/2020||Assembly|
|Walter Hughes||Public / General Business||03/03/2016||03/03/2016 - 01/01/2018||Assembly|
|Tony Thurmond||Assembly / Ex-Officio||01/30/2015||N/A|
|Tom Lackey||Assembly / Ex-Officio||02/29/2016||N/A|
|vacant||Senate / Ex-Officio||N/A|
|Vacant||Senate / Ex-Officio||N/A|
|Anthony Seferian||Attorney General's Office / Ex-Officio||05/26/2009||N/A|
|Chester Widom||Division of the State Architect / Ex-Officio*||12/06/2011||N/A|
CCDA Members and Committees
The California Commission on Disability Access (CCDA) is a 17-member independent commission consisting of 11 public members and six (6) ex-officio non-voting members. The CCDA was established through legislation (Senate Bill 1608 – Chapter 549, Statutes of 2008) enacted during the 2007/2008 legislative session.
Appointees to the CCDA were selected as specified by the provisions of Government Code section 8299.01 and the CCDA is comprised of appointees as follows:
- Two (2) public members appointed by the Senate Committee on Rules, with one appointee from the business community and one appointee from the disability community.
- Two (2) public members appointed by the Speaker of the Assembly, with one appointee from the business community and one appointee from the disability community.
- Seven (7) public members appointed by the Governor, with the consent of the Senate. Four (4) of the appointees must be from the disability community and three (3) of the appointees must be from the business community.
- The State Architect, or his or her representative, as a nonvoting ex-officio member.
- The Attorney General, or his or her representative, as a nonvoting ex-officio member.
- Two members of the Senate, appointed by the Senate Committee on Rules as nonvoting ex-officio members. One member shall be from the majority party and one member shall be from the minority party.
- Two members of the Assembly, appointed by the Speaker of the Assembly, as nonvoting ex-officio members. One member shall be from the majority party, and one member shall be from the minority party.
The CCDA is required by law to annually elect from its membership a Chairperson who must, as required by GC Section 8299.02 (b), be a representative from the disability community; a Vice-Chairperson who also must be elected from the membership, however, the law requires that this member represent the business community.
Public members are appointed for three-year terms, except that, with respect to the initial appointees, the Governor appoints three members for a one-year term, two members for a two-year term, and two members for a three-year term. The Senate Committee on Rules and the Speaker of the Assembly each initially appoint one member for a two-year term and one member for a three-year term. Public members may be reappointed for additional terms. The organizational chart located above identifies the appointees and provides information at a glance as to who the appointee represents, the appointment date and the appointment expiration.
- Guy Leemhuis, Chairperson – Commission Member
- Doug Wiele, Vice Chairperson – Commission Member
- Betty Wilson – Commission Member
- Michael Paravagna – Commission Member
- Laurie Cohen Yoo – Commission Member
- Christopher Downey – Commission Member
- Brian Holloway – Commission Member
- Celia McGuinness – Committee Member
- Walter Hughes – Committee Member
Education and Outreach Committee
- Betty Wilson, Chairperson – Commission Member
- Chris Downey, Vice Chair – Commission Member
- Michael Paravagna – Commission Member
- Arnie Lerner – Public Member
- Jimmie Soto – Public Member
- Stephen Simon – Public Member
- Richard Ray – Public Member
- Pamela Cohen – Public Member
- Laurie Cohen Yoo, Chairperson – Commission Member
- Celia McGuinness, Vice Chair – Commission Member
- Chris Downey – Commission Member
- Michael Paravagna, Chairperson – Commission Member
- Celia McGuinnes – Commission Member
- Walter Hughes – Commission Member
- Vacant – Chairperson – Commission Member
- Ida Clair – Public Member
- Stoyan Bumbalov – Public Member
- Gary Layman – Public Member
- Kurt T. Cooknick – Public Member
- Afsaneh Ahmadi – Public Member
- Bill Zellmer – Public Member
- Danny Friedman – Public Member
- Erika Frank – Public Member
- Julian Canete – Public Member
- Irene Walela – Public Member
- Laurie O’Brien – Public Member
- Matthew Sutton – Public Member
- Richard Halloran – Public Member